Frequently asked questions about Building Regulations Part P

Q1: When did Building Regulations Part P come into effect?

Electrical TrainingPart P came into effect in England and Wales on 1st January 2005.

Q2: What are the requirements of Part P?

From 1st January 2005 it is a legal requirement for all work on fixed electrical installations in dwellings and associated buildings to comply with relevant standards. The relevant UK standard is BS 7671:2001, ‘Requirements for Electrical Installations’. BS 7671 covers requirements for design, installation, inspection, testing, verification and certification.

Q3: To what types of electrical work does Part P apply?

Part P applies to electrical installations and alterations within domestic premises and any associated out buildings. Examples of typical works are:

  • Installation of electric showers
  • Installation of electric cookers/hobs, for example, as part of a kitchen installation
  • Installation of a central heating boiler
  • Installation of new wiring for a central heating system
  • Installation of a chair lift
  • Installation of security systems
  • Installation of water pumps
  • Installation of a new lighting circuit
  • Installing/upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding
  • Altering the position of an electrical installation or component, for example reposition of a central heating programmer or pump etc.
  • Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing circuit
  • Adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit

Please note that this list is by no means exhaustive. If you are in any doubt about whether the work you carry out must comply then please contact the ICON help desk on 0161 763 5052

Electrical TrainingQ4: What is a competent person scheme?

  • A competent person scheme is in place to monitor electrical safety
  • It ensures your compliance with Part P
  • The scheme operator will inform your local building control of work carried out (where necessary*)
  • It provides re-assurance to your customers that your work is safe and of high quality
  • It can provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to issue valid test certificates
  • It will keep you updated on the latest developments

Q5: *Which types of work require local building control notification?

In order to comply with Part P the vast majority of electrical work will require a valid test certificate to be issued to the customer with a copy kept by yourself for your own records.

In some special instances there will be a requirement for you to notify your local building control of the work carried out. Special instances include but are not limited to work carried out in:

  • Locations containing a bath or shower
  • kitchens
  • Hot air saunas
  • Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
  • Swimming pools
  • Garden lighting or power installations
  • Extra-low voltage lighting installations

Building RegulationsQ6: How will my customers benefit if I become registered with a competent person scheme?

  • Customers can rely on you to deal with the new Part P rules for them
  • Customers are re-assured of your qualifications to carry out electrical work
  • You are able to issue a valid electrical safety certificate which confirms to your customer that you have followed the new Part P rules
  • Customers can use the issued test certificate as evidence of safe electrical installation/alteration work when they need to sell their house or re-mortgage in the future
  • You will save your customer money by using your scheme operator to inform the local building control of notifiable work
  • You will allow your customer to take out insurance backed guarantees for the work carried out

Q7: OK It would appear that I and/or my company need to become registered with a competent person scheme – what do I do now?

The first step is to assess your qualifications (if you have any).

A good measure for checking your qualifications and hence competence, is whether or not you have the knowledge and skills to issue a valid electrical test certificate for your work.

For further details on acceptable qualifications please contact ICON on 0161 763 5052.

If you cannot presently issue test certificates then the next step will be to attend a course which will bring you up to date with the latest rules and provide you with the necessary training in order for you to test your work and comply with Part P

Electrical TrainingOnce you have received the necessary training and gained the appropriate qualification you can then apply to a scheme operator (NICEIC, Gas Safe, etc.) in order to become registered on their competent person scheme.

Q8: What electrical course does ICON offer?

ICON presently offers the Domestic Installer Scheme Qualification (DISQ) which is delivered in partnership with NICEIC and NIC Certification, in order to allow you to carry out all of the necessary procedures. It is approved by NICEIC and all of the other scheme operators including Gas Safe.

The DISQ is primarily a training course with 80% of your time spent on developing your knowledge and skills.

Q9: Why should I choose ICON as my training provider?

In partnership with NICEIC and NIC Certification ICON is a registered training provider and hence provides professional electrical training programmes with easy to understand training materials and presentations.

Our experienced, approachable and friendly training staff will ensure a pleasant and enriching training experience for you and/or your staff.
The training programmes we run have been designed to fulfil the requirements of the Building Regulations Part P whilst at the same time providing a tailored approach to the many types of electrical work activities which must comply.

To this end there are presently eighteen programmes available which have been developed to allow operatives working in specific areas to be trained and assessed on topics relevant to their needs.

Q10: What is the cost and duration of the course?

Electrical TrainingThe £650.00 plus VAT cost for the course is inclusive of all training materials, which includes two industry reference manuals, workshop materials, and NIC Certification. The duration of the course is five days which can be carried out Monday to Friday or via day release for five days.

Week end and evening options are also available upon request.

Q11: What qualifications will I need in order to attend the course?

None, the only requirement is that you presently carry out the work for which you now require Part P compliance.

Q12: OK I need to join the course what do I do now?

Easy, simply select a suitable course date and use our online enquiry form.  You will be sent confirmation and joining instructions within seven days of the course start date. Alternatively you can telephone the ICON help desk on 0161 763 5052 (9am-5pm Mon. to Fri.)